This page is the home to both long(er)-form blog posts (which are collected separately here) and to microposts (~280 characters) that get forwarded to my Twitter and Micro.blog accounts (and can also be read here).
- January 27, 2019 I think my favorite takes on La Marseillaise are the 1812 Overture and that scene from Casablanca.
- January 25, 2019 Currently planning travel to an academic conference in France. Rule of thumb when flying to Paris is always to worry about consequences of disgruntled employees, but this time it’s the *American* ones I’m worried about.
- January 23, 2019 Reviewer 3 doesn’t understand why my study is important. I’m trying to find ways to articulate that better, but all I really want to do is JUST BOLD EVERYTHING I’VE ALREADY WRITTEN TO THAT EFFECT.
- January 23, 2019 I never know whether to be happy or frustrated when I’m able to respond to a reviewer’s objection by resurrecting a paragraph from the manuscript that I’d previously cut to slim things down.
- January 23, 2019 Oh look, it’s my favorite day of the week: “Welp-those-manuscript-revisions-are-due-today Wednesday”
- January 22, 2019 It’s only taken me five months, but I’ve finally updated my Alfred “search the library for such-and-such an article” shortcut to point to my current institution’s library.
- January 18, 2019 Gotta say, Amazon, the amount of effort you’re making me go through to cancel my Prime membership is just validating my choice to do so.
- January 18, 2019 If anything helps you appreciate Vygotsky (and sociocultural theories of learning in general) more than being the parent of a two-year-old, I have yet to experience it.
- January 18, 2019 Tfw a seemingly small suggestion from a reviewer actually opens up new insights that you wouldn’t have otherwise noticed. Thanks Reviewer #1!
- January 18, 2019 Today’s manuscript revision fun is detangling the results of a coding error that left out 3 hours and 56 minutes worth of tweets from my analysis. Just enough to make some very small differences in reported results.
- January 16, 2019 One of my favorite “not designed for that” uses of the macOS app Alfred is to strip formatting from text when copying from one doc to another—paste it in Alfred bar in between, and voilà!
- January 16, 2019 Reading the news today, I am reminded of last month, when after finishing the fantastic “Believed” podcast, I angrily covered up John Engler’s signature on my diploma with a sticky note. It’s still there.
- January 16, 2019 Currently responding to reviewers of a journal article based on my dissertation. Feels especially difficult to make changes to a manuscript I’ve already had reviewed so many times.
- January 15, 2019 Just misspelled my own name in an email because I didn’t want to be impersonal by using my text expansion-powered signature 🙄
- January 15, 2019 Today, I used the dumb “define a sandwich” meme as a pedagogical activity, so I’m feeling pretty good about my semester so far.
- January 15, 2019 This post is a test of Twitter integration with my new Hugo blog (via Siri Shortcuts).
- January 15, 2019 Hello World! This is a test of a Siri Shortcut for posting to my new Hugo blog from iOS.